Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Guest Book

Thursday, March 3, 2011

How I maintain my weight ....

Wooden Apple, originally uploaded by mohdnaharazmi.
As I have been involve in health, exercise, rehabilitation, sports prescribtions, injuries and chronic diseases secondary prevention because it is part of my profession, sports & exercise physician and I am keeping myself fit, active and healthy. Not just being too cautious (as somebody commented to me)  but it is as part of resposibility to show a good role model to others. It is much easier to give an advise and instructions to others if I look after myself too. A chance of people will listen to me/you and follow as much as what I /you would like them to do. Not in such  cases of some obese physicians and big tummy advice patients to exercise and looses some weights but they themself didn't loose weight and never exercise. It's  so so ironic. You have to do what you preach. So sad.

Anyhow, not all the time you would get good response and results. Even though you have put much effort but it seems didn't show any good results. In such cases, don't give up. Just think about the health benefits point of view not just loosing weight. At some stages of age, It will be hard for some to loose weight. Still continue keeping fit and healthy. My be I am such a believer in active lifestyle. Still, you can only do your best to be healthy.

I still keep on physically active since my younger age and until now. I am already in my early 40s. At some stages I did put on weight. The highest weight that I ever had was 85kg within a short period of time (in just more than 1 months). Funny . I knew then I was being physically inactive, eat too much an eat late at night. But there was a turning point when I talk to myself, hey you have to do what you preach. :-) At that point I start to change and get back to my usual routine. I was still eating the usuall stuff that time only the different was I became more active and never eat too late and eat propotionately. Stop before you get full. It hard but have to put mind set on it. It was a successful task. From then I felt really great,  fit and energetic. Each time when I advice to patients and give some talk at some seminar or conferences, they will listen and respect what I have said. I have neve been when people so interested listenig to what I have said may be because I did give an example of myself what I was before and after. So they knew that I talk with my own experience and not just talking nonsense.

Before I came to Melbourne my weight was around 70kg which was just nice at some stages it did went down to 68kg. Running 5 - 10 K is a routine twice a week . Involve in aerobics 2-3 times a week and other activities. Not much of gym work though but I do bit of light weight.

Since being in Melbourne and since the last 2 years when I was heavilly involve with my reasearch exercise study for the first time I managed to get down some more weight even lower than 68 which I have never had done before (except during my pre University and at Uni during my degree, my weight was around 60 - 62kg). Look really funny that time :-). Now my weight  sit around 64 -65kg. Think that it no more less.

Loosing weight it much easier compared to maintaining the weight. Need lot of effort and self motivations. But for the last 2 years, I managed to maintain the same weight. Glad and felt happy for it. My motto was and still , just watch out the energy balance. What is the input (the food intake) and output (activities) for the day. I have a website, maybe some of you might like to have a look. http://www.calorieking.com.au There are lot of diet website but I like this one and I have been using this for more than a year. Easy and free registration.

I am still physically active. Running 5-10 km one/twice a week. Walking or cycling to Uni or Hospital and do bit of strength training at home. Just basic push up 100x a day, crunch 100x/day and squat 100x but not continuously 100x, have a break in between.

Now my next task is how I am going to maintain my weight when I get back in Kuala Lumpur. Food wise, will continue my curent pattern which will be not much different. But, the main concern will be physical activity since I will be driving to work. But, what I can do is and I have done before, coming early to work and jog/run for half an hour before work or after work or both. Running much longer distance during the weekend at Mount Kiara. The is the best spot I like to go last time , hopefully the place is still ok for joggers. And, continue active with my aerobics. Since I teach aerobics, I need to start find a places where I can teach. :-). Yesterday somebody had called me from KL when I am back in KL, coz they want to offer me some sessions. That cool.


Hopefully it will goes well for me later. I only can plan but what happen next I need to find out and try to adjust myself . It is much easier here for me in Melbourne to monitor and maintain myself. But, will see and hoping for the best when I get back later.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...