Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Guest Book

Friday, January 14, 2011

My Home-made Low Calorie Low fat Ice Cream


EPL 1 + Minolta 50mm f/1.4


It took me for quite a while and finally I managed to make this ice cream. I have got the inspiration of making my own Ice Cream when I watched Nigella Lawson, the famous cook  from UK, a journalist, writer and broadcaster. I have watched her show on how to make fast and easy ice cream few times since last year but it never struck me, coz I thought I want to get an ice cream maker machine. But, when I watched her show last two weeks suddenly I feels like I want to make the ice cream. No ice cream maker machine or any food processor required just the ingredients. Dump everything in, whisk till it smooth then put into a container and leave it in a freezer for few hours. You won't get that kind of smoothness like when you bought an ice cream from the shop unless you put an extra effort where, before the ice cream start to become hard then you need to whisk it either by hand or mixer/blend again.  Then again put it in the freezer. Do the same process 2/3 times. Finally you will get it soft and silky. The way that Nigella made the ice cream, it was so simple and easy, and yet you still can get a nice ice cream. Mmmmm yummy.

Finally I have decided to make the ice cream, till date I have made two containers of ice cream. Look at Nigella recipe and some other recipes which I have found. Most of them has 3 basics ingredients which are Milk (Whole milk/condensed milk/evaporated milk), Double Cream/Heavy cream and sugar (Crestor/just normal sugar). The rest like the flavour up to you, even some will add Custard or yogurt or even add egg yolks to make it more silkiness.

As usual, I will modified most of it, because I want to make it low calories. :-) . So instead, I used Skim milk, light thickened cream then add light dairy custard to make it silky then I  cut down a little bit the amount of sugar. I can put more effort to make it more smoother though but I am bit lazy at the moment. I mixed the sugar with the milk first then add on the cream. Whisk  till it look silky then I add on custard and the flavour I like. I have made two flavours, Mocha and Pandan. Hand whisk again all the ingredients and put it into a container after that. Then leave it in the freezer over night. All the process only took me less than 10 minutes. The next day it ready, yup I had my ice cream in the morning for my breakfast. Hmmm so so cooling and yummy. My low calorie low fat ice cream.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...