Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Guest Book

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The best of me is still yet to come


There was always the first time. First time present in front of all examiners whom first language is English when I was defending my proposal. First time I started teaching post graduate students at one of the top private University in Melbourne which I have to teach in English and today I was giving a talk/public speaking to a diabetic community group near Austin Hospital. There were 70 participants in the group. May be it was not a big group but it was a new experience to me. Back home I used to give talk or presentation all over the country. I felt comfortable coz I was communicating with my own language as medium of interaction. This time round used my second language (English) as the medium of interacting which I always have doubt.
I was really nervous and anxious since last week. I am always worried coz I know my second language is not as outstanding as my other colleagues whom speak superb second language than me. At one time, I met somebody whom commented to me how come my english is not excellent as I am a doctor. Doctor should speak excellent English. I was really down after that. Since then I don't have or less confident with this kind of situation.
Anyway, few hours before the presentation told Deidre (the research nurse) I was really nervous. She always comforted me and told me I will be find.
I suppose to reach the community center with Steve (my supervisor) but it turn out I have to be on my own. Steve ask me to carry on first. The Diabetic nurse who in charge the group approach me and I help her to set up the projector for my power point presentation. Purposely help her, just to make myself loosen a little bit. Then she started to introduce me to the group. Well I said to myself now or never. Every eyes looked at me and my nerves started. I started with " How are we" everybody responded with friendly look, smile and listen with enthusiasm. I became much calmer and introduce myself, bla bla bla and without I realise I finished my presentation in 20 minutes without hiccups no umm or ahh. I think I did well. I talk slowly, loud and clear and sometimes with jokes ( I didn't know where it came from, how I could make jokes) and everybody was laughing. I was pleased, felt so relief at the end of the session then I passed over the session to Steve. He commented and praised my presentation in front of the group, I quote 'Nahar did very well, even though English is his second language' and I received a big applause from the group.
On my way back to Austin, Steve praised me again and told me I did good job. I really felt so good and pleased with what I had achieved so far. It a journey I would never get If I didn't took the chance to further my study. It boosted my confident level and the best of me is still yet to come.........

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...